Hoylake Sailing Club


Hoylake Sailing Club was founded in 1887. On May 28th 1889 the Dock Board granted Members permission to erect a boathouse on the shore before the promenade was even contemplated. However when the promenade was built the Clubhouse was moved back to its present position.

About a hundred years ago the river and the channel were silting and it became necessary to design a flat bottomed boat and in 1900 and 1901 the first two of the ‘Opera’ class boats, ’San Toy’ and ‘Iolanthe’ were built in Alec Latter’s shed which was situated opposite to where the new Lifeboat House is at present being built.

The Opera Class celebrated its centenary in 2002 and today there are 15 Operas listed in the Club Programme and regular racing with them still takes place.  To find out more about the Operas, click the ‘Opera Class’ link at the top of the page.

For more information on the club and how to join, visit the ‘Contact’ page.



Venue Hire